Altes Rathaus

The Altes Rathaus - old city hall -  is one of the last and most significant Renaissance structures in Germany. The Neues Rathaus - new city hall - has been the seat of the city council since 1909. Since then the Altes Rathaus has been home to the Stadtgeschichtliches Museum, which documents the history of the city. Particularly striking on the interior is the large ceremonial hall, the Festsaal, as well as the Ratsstube, where aldermen would meet, the Mendelssohn-Zimmer, the late Baroque Landschaftszimmer, the armoury, Kramerraum and treasury.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altes_Rathaus_%28Leipzig%29

Neues Rathaus

The new city hall building of the city council bears a similarity to a fortress. The monumental structure was built to plans of the former city director of buildings Hugo Licht and was completed on 07 October 1905. Together with the Stadthaus, completed in 1912, it comprises a total of 870 rooms. The walls of the Neues Rathaus were built on the foundations of the former Pleißenburg fortifications. The 114.5-metre tower of this arx nova (new castle) stands on the stump of the former castle and is set to be reopened to the public as an observation platform in the near future.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neues_Rathaus_(Leipzig)

Leipzig Opera House

Leipzig Opera House is a symbol of over 300 years of opera in Leipzig. Following the wartime destruction of the Neues Theater, used for drama and opera since 1868, a modern opera house was erected on the site in 1956-1960, incorporating the late Classical forms of the predecessor.

http://www.oper-leipzig.de/

Gewandhaus

The Gewandhaus zu Leipzig is synonymous with music for both citizens of Leipzig and visitors from Germany and abroad. The Gewandhaus and Gewandhausorchester are associated with many famous names, such as Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy, Arthur Nikisch, Wilhelm Furtwängler, Bruno Walter and Kurt Masur.

http://www.gewandhaus.de

Battle of Nations Monument

This monument commemorates the victory of the allies over the armies of Napoleons at the Battle of Leipzig in 1813. At that time 120,000 people lost their lives in a four-day period (3 days of fighting).

Those wishing to enjoy the view from the 91-m platform must first negotiate 500 steps up a winding stairway. On fine days the wonderful views are compensation for the rigours of the ascent, however.

http://www.voelkerschlachtdenkmal.de

Russische Gedächtniskirche

The official name of this church is: "St. Alexei Memorial Church" – named after Alexei, the only son of Tsar Nicholas II. It is a memorial to the over 22,000 Russian soldiers that fell in the Battle of Leipzig. It was built in 1912/1913 by the architect Vladimir A. Pokrovsky in the Novgorod style – financed by Russian donations. It was inaugurated on 17 October for the 100th anniversary of the battle. The 55 metre, 16-sided tower bears a golden onion dome. Inside is an 18-metre icon wall, a large bronze chandelier and original standards (cavalry pennants) from 1813.

http://www.russische-kirche-l.de

Thomaskirche

Thomaskirche, the church of St Thomas, is famous for its boys choir, the Thomaner Chor. The church evolved from the former monastery church of the Augustine brothers and did not acquire its current appearance until restructuring work in the period 1482 to 1496. The Thomaskirche is one of the oldest hall churches in the Free State of Saxony. Johann Sebastian Bach was cantor of the church from 1723 until his death. The church stands in Thomaskirchhof - the former churchyard - and has a tower 55 metres in height. The Thomaskirche was appointed a market church in the 12th century.

http://www.thomaskirche.de

Nikolaikirche

Nikolaikirche, the church of St Nicholas, is the largest church in Leipzig, at 63 metres. From 1723-1750 it was the domain of J. S. Bach. The organ, built by Friedrich Ladegast, is the largest in the city and is often used for concerts. The interior of the church was restored from 1966/77, after which work commenced to restore the exterior, under the aegis of Heinrich Magirius and Gerhart Pasch.

http://www.nikolaikirche.de

Hauptbahnhof

Leipzig Hauptbahnhof - main railway station - was inaugurated in 1915 after a thirteen-year construction under the direction of Wilhelm Lossow and Hans Kühne. With its 24 platforms, it is one of the largest railway terminuses and (alongside that of Frankfurt) one of the most significant passenger stations in Europe.In November 1997, following just two years of construction, a modern shopping and services centre, the "Hauptbahnhof-Promenaden," was completed beneath the platforms of the station.

http://www.promenaden-hauptbahnhof-leipzig.de

Arena Leipzig

With the ARENA LEIPZIG, completed in May 2002, the Saxon trade fair city has one of the most modern multifunctional halls in Europe. The venue offers versatile spaces and an impressive atmosphere for sporting and cultural events. Organisers have the opportunity to arrange events to suit their individual requirements. Perfect technical equipment and tailored on-site services complete the offer of ARENA LEIPZIG.

http://www.sportforum-leipzig.com/zsl.site,postext,arena-de.html